How to optimize your organic content on social media
Social media is ever-evolving and it has gained more prominence than ever in the last few years since covid. Social media was a savior for both individuals and businesses throughout lockdown. Individuals were able to socialize with their friends and families from far away. Businesses better understood the importance and potential of social media; how it can allow them to build relationships with their customers and attract new potential customers.
Social media has always been a game of content – where algorithms push your content in front of users as more people engage with it. Social media has adopted its own form of SEO in a way that the algorithms focus on creating a positive user experience. If users find your content engaging, your content will be pushed in front of more users slowly but surely.
Now when it comes to social media, different businesses tend to take different approaches. Some businesses with large budgets use paid social media to see quick results and putting their brand in front of a larger audience, while others prefer to optimize organic content strategies to create engaging and valuable organic content on social media. Many businesses take the hybrid approach, where they focus on creating organic content on social media to generate leads, but also use paid social media ads to target specific groups or capture existing leads through retargeting ads.
Organic social media is a highly competitive landscape, so if your focus as a company is on producing organic content on social media, then you should have a proper strategy in place to take advantage of the high potential it holds. But let’s first understand, what is organic social media?
What is Organic social media?
Organic social media refers to posting free content on social media. Any kind of content (photos, videos, creatives or memes, etc.) that doesn’t involve spending money to advertise or push the content in front of users, is considered organic.
Its simplicity makes organic social media the best way to nurture relationships with your customers at scale. Organic social media is the foundation of every digital marketing strategy, as it helps you to build an honest relationship with your present and future customers. Users are not always a fan of getting ads thrown in their faces the moment they log in to their social media, so when businesses take the organic approach to create engaging and valuable content for their users, it goes a long way, and users appreciate it by engaging with the content.
Especially now with the rise of TikTok and Instagram Reels, organic social media content has reached another level. Businesses are creating short videos from content showcasing their company culture, products, and industry knowledge to build communities on social media.
Some of the top examples for kind of organic content on social media –
- Tips and Tricks
- User-generated content
- Posts that humanize staff
- Case studies
As I mentioned earlier, organic social media is competitive, and to create an impact on social media, you need to equip the best practices to take full advantage. Here are some of the top tips you can use to optimize organic content on social media.
Top ways to optimize your organic social media
- Focus efforts on the right platforms
The idea of being present on every social media handle might sound exciting, but it is often not practical. Wasting efforts to be present on every social media is futile as there is a good chance that your target audience is not present on every social media handle. For example, for a B2B kind of business, it is very practical to create content on LinkedIn to grab the attention of their target audience, which is other businesses on LinkedIn. On the other hand, for DTC brands, it is more practical to optimize their content strategies on Facebook or Instagram.
A good thumb rule is to analyze your competitors on social media. See what kind of content they are putting on their different social media handles and how much engagement they are receiving. If most of your competitors are not active on some channels, it might be a good idea for you to avoid those channels too.
- Post the right kind of content
Figuring out what content works best for you requires patience but once you can find the sweet spot, you can expect to get high engagement for your organic content.
The recent viral trend of TikToks and Instagram reels has skyrocketed the amount of video content being produced on social media. Videos get the most engagement on Instagram and having video content as a part of your organic content strategy helps to grab your users’ attention for longer.
Although every brand is now trying to get on the wild TikTok and reels ride, it may just not be the perfect fit for your brand! Testing your content and seeing what kind of content pulls the highest engagement for your brand is vital. Look at your competitors’ data to see what kind of content is working for them and how you can create more engaging content on social media.
- Interact with your users
User-generated content is the best organic content, period.
What is user-generated content?
When your users have tried and tested your product/service, go out of their way to create content for you in the form of reviews, testimonials, and ratings.
Your future potential customers are more likely to start using your product/service if they hear something great about you from another customer. Interacting with your users creates a community, which gives a sense of connection to your customers and they feel valued. Customers love it when companies keep them in a loop not just before they start paying them but also after they become paying customers.
- Maintain a balance between valuable content and promotional content
Now of course you will be using your social media handles to promote your products/services to your existing customers and potential future customers. But it is important to keep a balance between the kind of content you create for your users, and the balance between value-added content and promotional content.
It is always advised to stick to the 80/20 rule. 80% of your content should be valuable and useful, while the rest 20% can be promotional stuff. When you attract new users through your 80% of value-added content, there is a good chance of them coming across your 20% of promotional content, which can nudge them onto becoming a paying customers.
- Promote your social media profiles
There is no point in doing all these above efforts if no one knows about your presence on social media. Always make sure to have your social media handles mentioned on all of your assets(both paid and owned).
Test and optimize, and go again!
There is no real trick or magic word behind getting big on social media. The strategy that works for you might not work for others or what works for them might not work for you. The real key is to test your strategies and then optimize them accordingly. Social media is a vast ocean of both opportunities and data. To get hold of those opportunities, you need to be able to sort through the huge amount of data, which can only happen when you keep trying and testing!
You can always take the help of tools such as Connect Mor, which can help you to analyze your competitors’ social media to give you access to their top hashtags, most viral topics, and the best performing posts. Using this data you can create more engaging organic content on social media for your brand. If interested, book a demo today and start your 14-Day free trial.
The Best Tools to Help You Generate Engaging Instagram Captions
February 2, 2023
Best Times to Post on Instagram by Day in 2023
January 27, 2023
Instagram Caption Guide for 2023 and 50 Great Short Captions
November 9, 2022